Monday, September 3, 2012

Bundt Noodle Kugel



The first time I tried this dish was in college, the first time I had a Jewish friend in fact. It was a late night and we were studying for mid terms in the fall and I remember Sloane said she was hungry and had some left over Kugel in the fridge. I was thinking more on the lines of let’s go get Taco Bell, but being no stranger to trying new foods and not wanting to be rude I accepted her reheated square piece of slightly sweet and over indulgent rich amazingness. By the end of the night I crammed both for an exam and myself with what I had no idea would be my first Jewish love: Noodle Kugel! 

Now it's my turn to recreate this dish which I had searched high and low for the perfect recipe, and got lucky that friend's mom was sweet to share her favorite recipe with me. Let me tell you all that the picture of the final product was taken after I had cut a bite out of it, my impatience and excitement got the best of me!

This dish is great for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, a great time to begin introspection, looking back at the mistakes of the past year and planning the changes to make in the new year.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream 
3/4 cup applesause
1 package (16 ounce) medium or large egg noodles, cooked and drained

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with non stick vegetable spray. Pour 1/4 cup melted butter into bunt pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter in pan, then sprinkle chopped walnuts over the brown sugar. 



 In a large mixing bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup melted butter, salt, eggs, cinnamon, granulated sugar, sour cream and applesauce. 


Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until brown.  Remove from oven, and turn upside down on serving plate. Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment